It is the first time I had tried anything like this so I did it with some trepidation! initially I tried it on a development/trial site, then went for the live version.
The steps I took are listed below.
Quick version : downloaded and unzipped WordPress 2.0, changed the wp-config.php to point correctly and up-loaded all the files. Ran the upgrade script.
Backed up my MySql wordpress file and my .htaccess file
Deactivated all the plug-ins
COPIED the details from my wp-config.php file
Download WordPress 2.0 from here and unzipped it locally
Updated WP 2.0 ‘s wp-config.php with the database name, user name and password I had copied.
Uploaded the files & directories using FileZilla, to the correct directory (root in my case) and allowed the new files to replace pre-existing files of the same name.
Ran the upgrade script in the wp-admin directory.
Had a gin and tonic to celebrate……
It really was that simple. I admit I then deleted some redundant files/directories that had been relocated in WordPress 2.0; but that was easy. I also added a line to my .htaccess that I needed from before.
Reactivating the plugins waited until I had checked them against the “official list” of known compatibilities. I only had one that failed the list and it was redundant given the new features of WP 2.0 . (I think that list is official anyway :-) )
So – off and running. Will Blog the changes I notice, likes and dislikes as I come across ’em.
Let me know what you have done, the problems – if any. :D