Received 2 November:
Thanks for your report. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have
experienced. The issue you described should now be resolved. If you
continue to experience difficulties, please respond to this message, and
we’ll investigate further.
The Google Team
Now I am VERY pleased to get my accounts back – but – why? The accounts were disabled without an explanation and re-enabled – without an explanation. Should this make me happy – or confused – or mad?
Maybe I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth 🙂
As you may have read, for reasons known only to Gmail, my original Gmail account was disabled.
Being a sucker for punishment, I still want my Gmail for both its archiving and storage capabilities. Setting up a new account was easy. Figuring out how to move the 3000 odd emails I have in Outlook express was another matter!
Naturally, I am not the first to try this (for which I am TRULY grateful!) and some judicious Googling helped me out. In essence, emails in outlook express (and outlook) are stored in what seems to be a non standard/proprietary format. Or at least one not in common with Mozilla’s Thunderbird and I guess Gmail. Therefore, the files need to be converted FIRST and then uploaded.
The way I did it was detailed here and here. In essence, I download and installed Firebird, Let it import all my outlook express emails (yep it left the originals in place) and then uploaded them to my new Gmail account using Gexodus .
As my main blog details, my Gmail accounts have been disabled out of the blue.
PLEASE have a read and let me know of any solutions I haven’t tried.
Just a quick note that I have updated my main blog to WordPress 2.01. A painless procedure IMHO and kudos to the WP team for the rapid availability of this update 😀
As always, I followed their upgrade instructions very closely (especially about backing up!).
Well, I finally got around to it today, and ‘upgraded’ my main blog to WordPress 2.0 as I had planned.
It is the first time I had tried anything like this so I did it with some trepidation! initially I tried it on a development/trial site, then went for the live version.
The steps I took are listed below.
Quick version : downloaded and unzipped WordPress 2.0, changed the wp-config.php to point correctly and up-loaded all the files. Ran the upgrade script.